questions to Country information step by step elongate visa / apply for residence permit

Can I go with my host family?

Hi there,

If I have a temporary residence permit to au pair for a family in the Netherlands am I able to travel to Ireland with my host family for an extended period of time, or do I have to get a separate visa for Ireland?

1 Answerslatest answer: 3 years ago 2194 views

Filter answers

Answered by

Dear Charmaine, 

thank you for your question! 

I checked the EU regulations for the visas and travelling documents, you can find more information from here: They say that with a residence permit in one of the Schengen countries you are allowed to travel to other Schengen countries without a visa. But as Ireland is not part of the Schengen, I then checked the regulations Ireland has for tourists.  

It seems that as a South African you do not need to apply for a visa to Ireland if you are planning to travel as a tourist and stay less than 3 months.

Hope these links help! 

Kind regards, 

Taina from the cAP team 

send cancel

Thank you for reporting this answer

We will check your report and block the answer if applicable.